My Top 10 Free Songwriting Tips
20th January, 2023
Whenever we write a new song or beat/backing track, we want to periodically check that...
1. The beat, no matter how innovative, sounds like it belongs to a/the genre.
2. The chorus/main hook has a feeling of inevitability.
3. The overall feel of the track is not too pretty/cheesy/trite.
4. All the melody parts are fun to sing and have the right weight.
5. The beat feels "vibey" even without the singing and the sounds are tastefully chosen.
6. The lyrics are original and contain some memorable lines and no cringeworthy lines.
7. There is contrast between the sections and build within them.
8. The total combination of melody, lyrics and track paints a coherent emotional picture that is neither too bright nor too dark.
9. The chords by themselves convey a strong feeling of tension and release.
10. The song contains many highlights like hooks and riffs.
Liked those tips? My pleasure. But wait, there's more...!
Like a totally free songwriting lesson. What is it about though? Guess you're going to have to find out...
Click straight through—no email required
Not ready for the free lesson...
...but found this article interesting and want to be notified when new blog posts are published? Or want the free lesson AND the blog updates? No problem!